Monday, July 7, 2014

Day 32: Hook Turn!!

I've heard of the dreaded Hook Turn since I began studying Australia.  It didn't look that complicated and I couldn't figure out what the big deal was.  Then the other night I watched a couple of people do a hook turn from the 20th floor of the Australia Post building and I didn't think it looked like that big of a deal still.

Then today I was driving Cathy's car and I needed to turn right to get to her office so we could grab some lunch together before we take off to see the East Coast.  I pulled into the far right lane, pulled almost all the way through the intersection and stopped to wait.  Cars were passing me on the right, pedestrians flooded the crosswalks on both sides of the street and my pulse quickened.  As the light turned yellow I checked over my shoulder and started my turn only to stop because people were still crossing the street.

So here I am, stopped in the middle of the intersection, traffic trying to proceed only to be blocked by--well, by me.  No one honked.  No one even blinked.  The pedestrians hurried across, I drove on and then gasped for breath as I'd been holding mine since the beginning of the turn.  It was exhilarating!  I wanted to do it again!!  I loved it!  π not so much.  He got mad the third time I did it even though that's the way the GPS was sending me!

Sadly no photographic evidence of my triumph and, other than packing it's the only thing that got done today.  Still an adventure and another item crossed off the bucket list.

I love my life!!

1 comment:

  1. You're so funny! What a crazy thing to have on your bucket list!

    ReplyDelete