Thursday, July 3, 2014

Day 28: Healsville Sanctuary and Dinner in the City


As I was driving around the winding road of the Black Spur of the Dandenong Range in the Shire of Murrindindi I had a surreal experience.  First of all, I was driving in the black spur of the Dandenong range of the shire of Murrindindi!  Secondly, I was following my Aunt and Uncle to the Zoo.  Well, not exactly a zoo but a Sanctuary but still.  The point was I was following my Aunt and Uncle!  I was driving behind them as we were all going to the same place to do something together.  The reality of it struck me and tears stung my eyes as the reality of the situation penetrated my heart.

Do you know how long I have wanted to be able to say that?  I'm 39 so I'd reckon about 38 years now.  I just can't believe that I'm really here.  I'd say that there's a point just about every day where I have to stop for a moment and revel in the fact that I'm actually associating with my own family.  I've longed for it, dreamt of it, prayed for it and schemed to make it happen.  Even still, I can scarcely believe that it's for real.

The day was a blur after that.  Fifteen people experiencing the animals in a zoo like setting.  We saw a bunch of Koalas and Kangaroos and heaps of other Australian animals.  The highlight was really the company although the setting was incredible.  They do a bird show like at the Hogle Zoo in Utah--only the birds are a bit different.  When they brought out their split tail Eagle I got a bit home sick and realized, not for the first time, how regal a bald eagle is in comparison with other raptors.


Parenting moment:  when you have a kid who's a bit shy and timid to try new things, seeing you do something ridiculous is often the easiest and quickest way to help them overcome their hesitancy.  I spent 20 minutes trying to get ∞ to climb on the ropes and play with the other kids.  I spent 2 minutes playing on the ropes making a complete idiot out of myself.  Then I spent 20 minutes reveling in her joy as she played on the ropes with the other kids.  Worth every minute of self consciousness about my 220 lb girth up on those ropes swinging like a monkey.


I told the kids that if they could get a picture with all of them upside down, I'd supply tim tam slams for their cousin sleepover tonight.  Not long after that I got this shot :)  Notice how much fun ∞ is having!  Made my day!!





When playing a zoo keeper and I struck up a conversation. He said loads of people were curious what was up with all the upside down trees when they were building this--and he hopes that they're happy with the outcome.  My response was a bit snide but he was laughing as he walked away.  I told him I was thinking a good caption to this picture was, "Gardener--You had one job!" 


I got to go to the Zoo with my cousins!

Totally mundane experience for thousands of people daily.  Once in a life time, bucket list fulfilling experience for this "Hoefer girl"

From one massively fun activity straight on to another.  The kids wanted to do a cousin sleep over and the teenagers arranged to do it at Mary and Arthur's house.  They have a phenomenal home theater system that puts some commercial theaters to shame.  So we dropped all the kids there (really I can't thank you enough Mary and Arthur!!) and we headed into the city.


Cathy and BJ showed us a great time and we ate a yummy meal in Little Italy.  Nothing exciting to look at from the outside, incredibly fulfilling experience on the inside.

Not only did we get to see the City from the 20th floor of the Australia Post building, but I got to see where my cousin works.  We strolled through the city (which reminded me tons of New York in case anyone was wondering) and really just had a great night.


Absolutely a through the looking glass experience today.  I keep thinking this trip can't get any better but every single day is heaps neater than the last!

No comments:

Post a Comment