Saturday, August 9, 2014

Day 65: Newport Beach Temple

Hello Jet Lag--this is our first time experiencing real jet lag and I've gotta say, I'm not a fan!  We weren't able to fall asleep till after 2:00 AM hence we slept till after 11.  We rang the St. George temple to find that they close at 5:30, no chance of catching them today.

Then Jon got a phone call offering him the job he applied for in Kansas!  We've been planning our trip based on the reality that we'd be coming back to the LA area in April for Adara's baptism.  We didn't hit the LA temple yesterday because we were so beat and the drive took so long and we'll just be back in April--oops!  










So instead of hurrying off to Utah, we got the Wilson's to come with us to the Newport Beach Temple and then to the San Diego Temple.  Only traffic was so heinous that we opted to go to the beach instead of sitting in traffic for 3 hours and missing the SD temple anyway.  

It was a good call!  The teens got to snorkel with their Uncle and the littles got to play in the tide pools that were almost entirely wave free-their favorite!  

We thought we'd worn them out so they'd sleep well while we drove.  Hahahahaha we are so funny!  We dropped the kids off at Mary's to shower and get ready for bed while the adults went out to enjoy a modicum of uninterrupted adult conversation.  That was super nice!  It's not often that the four of us have that opportunity!

Sadly, the kids were just as skattered and unreliable as we were feeling--no one was sleeping and the teens were all vegging in front of a movie when we got home at midnight.  

Frustrated we got in the van and headed for Utah.  Not only had they not put the kids to bed, but they also hadn't fed them so everyone was starving--so after stopping for gas and food and a second potty stop, it was 2:00 AM and we were finally on the road.  

I love driving at night.  I especially love driving 75 MPH (125 K) on a 4 lane freeway at night!  I had an hour's nap and it was all my jet lagged body needed.  I was wide awake and loving every minute of the drive.  I knew I should have stopped and at least tried to sleep, but I was having such a hard time breathing I knew sleep would be impossible so I just kept on going.

We got to Papa's just five and a half hours later--exactly what google maps said it would take.  Amazing how fast the drive goes while kids sleep--and while driving so fast!  Unfortunately, I was beyond wiped out.  Tomorrow is another day!

2 comments:

  1. I love Newport Beach! It's really the only beach I've ever been to, and it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun there! Have you been to the temple? It was absolutely beautiful!

      Delete