Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Day 12: Every Day An Adventure

(pictures take forever to get on with the chaos of kids so for now I'm posting just the text.  Come back later to see the fun.)

When consciousness descended on me this morning, I knew I was not alone.  When I was able to open my eyes, a laugh wasn’t far away.  X and X² were sitting in chairs in the corners of this tiny kitchen.  When I asked why they were sitting there, they said they put themselves in time out to keep themselves from doing something wrong. 


As we started to discuss their logic, I was distracted by the glorious view outside the front door.  The sun was rising right before my eyes.  I abandoned the conversation, grabbed my shoes and threw open the door.  I was half way across the lawn before the boys thought to ask where I was going.

“Sunrise on the beach!!” was all I had to say before they were running towards me.  It was only minutes later when 8 of the ten of us were on the beach watching the most incredible sunrise.

We were slow to get moving since the kids were enjoying the sand and the toys and…well, TASMANIA but when we actually did leave, we got side tracked before we’d even gone 5 miles. 


You need a little back story before I tell you why we got distracted.  The guy who runs/owns the South Arm Cabin Retreat is named Malcome and his wife is Rose.  We’ve not met Rose yet, but Malcome is as close to a replica of Cody’s dad as you’re ever going to meet.  They bought this land when they retired; built these cabins and now they take care of this place.  In everything that we’ve seen, it’s run exactly as you’d expect it to be if Jim was running it.  He was super friendly, chatted with us about everything we were interested in, gave us some great suggestions for where to go and what to do…he was incredible!  After we got back from the beach, he came over with two hand drawn maps to show us where we could go to do the things we told him we were interested in.


One of the places he told us to go is to Opossum Bay.  This made us laugh because one of Jim’s favorite TV programs is Red Green.  Anyone who’s familiar with that show knows that he runs the Possum Lodge.  It’s far too similar to be ignored.  So when we saw the sign to Opossum Bay, all thoughts of exploring Hobart’s museum went flying away and we headed to the Bay.  We drove all the way to the end of the bay, ignoring the well established places in preference to wandering off the beaten path. 


 

The beach we ended up on wasn’t the beautiful, sandy beach you’d expect, but a sea shell ridden cacophony.  We found a rocky section and with it all sorts of skeletons.  Then pi² found a live muscle.  This lead us to looking for other sea food.  That’s when I realized what I had been seeing in the water--oysters.  Loads of them, just laying in the pristine waters we were walking next to. 





On one of them was a little tiny crab.


We went back to the cabin with 20 gigantic rock oysters, completely satisfied with the days adventures not sad at all that we missed the Hobart Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment